Sunday, March 15, 2009

Movie Review: Watchmen

I loved the Watchmen. No I've never read the comic novel and probably won't, I'm kind of lazy, I've got 5 other books I still need to read. Also I think watching the movie gave me a clean slate. I don't like dabbing into different medias with the same subject. I haven't seen the Harry Potter movies, but loved the books, for example. Where do I start?

The Watchmen is sort of like Lost, there's the now time line, and there's a bunch of flashbacks. Basically there's an alternate history where during the 1930s a few people put on masks to fight crime. This eventually became outlawed and now most of the people live in hiding.

Patrick Wilson stars as the Nite Owl, a character who misses the old days, but mostly keeps to himself. Jackie Haley plays Rorschach, an angry guy who only wants to keep justice. He's probably the most entertaining of them all. Billie Crudup plays Dr. Manhattan, a person who works for the U.S. government as both a weapons and scientist, he is the only character with true powers. Malin Akerman (A Swedish-Canadian hottie!) plays Silk Spectre, who is romantically involved with Dr. Manhattan but feels them pulling apart. Adrian Veidt is played by Matthew Goode, he is the "smartest" man in the world. Finally Jeffery Dean Morgan plays the Comedian, who dies early on.

The movie revolves around who killed the Comedian and why? While most of the group don't care, Rorschach is trying to figure it out. The movie is very stylish, in almost a noir kind of way, but not. I really don't want to explain anymore, just know that there is nudity/sex and gore/violence. Definitly see this in theatres, there's no way a T.V. screen, no matter what size, can do this movie justice. Just don't bring the kiddies.

Acting: 10/10
Story: 10/10
Atmosphere: 10/10
Overall: 10/10
Rated: 18-A (ONT) R (USA)

P.S. Try and notice the staged/false flag terror plot in the movie!

No comments: