Sunday, March 15, 2009

Movie Review: Milk

Milk is based around the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician. It basically goes through his life in San Francisco, his ups and downs as well as his personal relationships.

A major character in the story is Dan White, who kills Milk in real life and in the movie. Basically there are disagreements between them and White goes crazy.

In the end though the movie almost makes you sympathize with White, because at times, Milk sort of comes off as an ass. I'm not trying to justify White but that's just the vibe the movie gave me anyway.

Overall Sean Penn is amazing as Milk, Josh Brolin plays White and does a great job. James Franco of Spiderman fame also does a good job. Overall the acting is really well done. I also enjoy the atmosphere. I don't know how but both Milk and Pursuit of Happyness do a really good job of San Fran from the past.

Acting: 9/10
Story: 8.5/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Overall: 9/10
Rated: 14-A (ONT) R (USA)

P.S. This is the first biography movie I think I've reviewed, and was kind of difficult, because everything happened, so there's not much to really elaborate on.

No comments: